Monday, February 2, 2009

Banned. Effective immediately.

That's it. I'm done.

It occurred to me today (well, over the course of the past several days) that I spend a lot...and I mean a LOT...of time on parenting messageboards. I don't mean that I have specific information or questions in mind and I go there to find the answers, I mean I scroll through multiple forums and read random threads and get emotionally involved in stupid things that have nothing to do with me. This. Must. Stop.

I realized today, as I was reading through a number of threads and either shaking my head incredulously at the original poster or at the people replying, that this kind of activity brings out the worst in me. Not that I go around trolling people or anything. I don't even post anything that could possibly be considered mildly offensive. But I'm angry a lot of the time -either wanting to pick holes in what someone else is saying or wanting everyone to Stop Fighting Already. What a pointless waste of energy!

Don't get me wrong, loyal readers. I am in no way saying that the messageboards in question are pointless OR a waste of energy (and, for the record, yes...messageboardS. As in more than one). When one is looking for support and information then they can be downright useful. But go beyond that and it can get a bit hairy. I find myself worrying that things I write will be taken the wrong way -and this is now extending to other things I write: emails, this blog post, facebook statuses. That's not healthy or cool.

So I am banning myself from said messageboards forthwith. The only exception? OK, there are two: 1. If I have a genuine need for information or support that I can't get elsewhere, and 2. If I'm following a specific topic for my own purposes.

...well...that should free up a lot of time! Good thing I've got Neil Gaiman's Twitter bookmarked!

In other news, today Little Bear said the "ma" sound for the first time! Granted, he was crying and it came out "MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAM" ...but still! My heart melted! He's been saying "dadadadadadadadada" for a while now, so this is a breakthrough. It gave me an idea of how amazingly adorable and wonderful it's going to be when he starts actually talking :-)

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Sounds like you OD'ed. A break is an excellent idea. Gives you more time to cook more yummy things, and then post about them and make me drool on my keyboard!