Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Of cooking and navel gazing

This year seems to be the year of culinary experimentation for me. I don't mean that I'm throwing together my own recipes all the time (although I am -but I think that was last year's theme) -it's more that I'm setting out to learn how to make certain things or certain recipes...more of a striving for culinary expertise, if that makes sense.

The biggest and scariest example of this is bread. Bread is something that I've always wanted to make, but I was always scared to try. There's something intimidating and unpredictable about the kneading/rising process...it's not straight forward like other baking. I'm not good at trying new things, be they culinary or otherwise -I like to know how something will turn out before I start (and if I think it won't turn out well I Don't Try At All). This is why I think all of this kitchen experience is so good for me, and the bread was no exception -I went in with the mindset of "OK, this could be a total disaster...but if it is then I'll throw it out and I'll have learned what not to do for the next time I try it." This may sound straightforward to you, but for me it's a total revelation. Seriously, a revolution in thinking.

Anyway, it did NOT go perfectly -our apartment is curiously devoid of "warm spots" for rising bread, and the solution (of using the oven at the lowest setting and then turned off) that I came up with when I made pizza dough last month (also for the first time, I might add) wasn't possible because this recipe called for starting the baking in a cold oven. I ended up rising the bread for twice the recommended time just so it would get poofy enough, and then it got really brown in the oven before it was supposed to and I couldn't tell if it was done in the middle or not. But I went with it and, you know what? It wasn't half bad....in fact, one could argue that it was pretty darn good for a first try! And I did learn something...I learned that I should try a recipe that uses a preheated oven so that I can have a guaranteed effective warm spot! And now I can't wait to try it again.

So here, for the first time ever, is a loaf of bread that I baked myself (and the heel of the other one because it was so darn tasty that we demolished most of a loaf in one sitting). And yes, it was supposed to be smooth and round, not lumpy, but you know what? I'll get there someday!

No comments: