Saturday, September 12, 2009

When Love Takes Over

Just a random type of post. I really want to recommit to this blog.

My Xander-bear turned 13 months on the 10th, which was also our anniversary. We had a delicious Mama-cooked dinner (steak with goat cheese and pecans, mushrooms and onions in peppercorn sauce, sauteed green beans with bacon, and salad) and once the little one was in bed we made molten chocolate cakes. We had them with vanilla ice cream and champagne and then we cuddled on the sofa and watched the season premiere of "Glee" (awesome). We were in bed by 10 and Matty gave me Reiki until I fell asleep. Not our wildest night, but wonderful in its own special way...it was nice to reconnect in a non-sexual way (although I may be alone in that belief :-P).

My baby has turned into a toddler in the past month. He walks most of the time and he babbles constantly. He's made up his own signs for "hungry" and "thirsty," he waves "bye" and sometimes blows kisses. He asks us to play with him and read to him all the time (he just handed me a puppet...hang on...). He's such a sweet boy, and heartbreakingly adorable. It's insane. He likes to "help" with laundry (I laundered a block the other day...he put it in the hamper when I wasn't looking), and also with the dishwasher...he always goes for the knives at the very back of the bottom rack. How does he DO that? He also likes to wander off on his own (in the house, duh). I'll be doing something...like blogging :-P and it'll be very very quiet...and I'll suddenly realize that he's not in the room. He's usually in the front hall playing with the doormat or indulging his obsession with the loose rung at the foot of my mom's bedstead in the spare room (he likes to wiggle it). He's starting to get the hang of drawers and cupboard doors (AAAAAAH!), but he seems to be more interested in opening and closing them than in exploring the contents, thank goodness.

He threw his first tantrum last night. I could see exactly why it was happening, and I did everything I could to fix the problem (besides giving in...it really was bedtime). As it was I just stayed with him, held him unless he pushed me away, validated and identified his emotions, and melted when he reached for hugs in spite of his tears (which happened a lot...yay!). Guess I'm a gentle discipline kinda girl. Matthew came in and kept me company -he said "If you have to go through this, then I'm going to go through it too." Eventually the tears calmed and the little man nursed himself to sleep. He slept until almost 9am (no, not straight, what am I, a magician? :-P).

I didn't mean for this to turn into a baby post, but there it is.

I'm going to make an effort to post more (don't I always say that? Well, I mean it).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

We love Glee, too! But we came in late, about episode 3 or 4? We have the first soundtrack, and hope to get the second soundtrack. I know what you mean about intending to post more!! : )